Service Learning Project
The service learning project for this unit involves research and advocacy components that involve the integration of both math and science practices that have been learned through the school year. Students will be collecting demographic information about the local population and their school. From this data, students will collaborate with a group to identify an under represented demographic group in need of a voice. Students will be creating media to be presented to principle and school board concerning this social issue in order to help raise awareness of the target demographic. Students will finish the unit with a reflection discussing what they learned through advocating an under represented demographic.
- Investigation-Students will create a method in order to collect demographic information.
- Prep/Planning-Distribute survey and analyze data in order to identify under represented demographic. Plan and prepare a media presentation to inform about the issue.
- Action-Create media to represent the social issue that the students identified.
- Demonstration/Celebration-Presentation of media to school administration.
- Reflection-Students will write a report reflecting on the effectiveness of their media to raise appropriate awareness.
- Evaluation-Students will complete a self evaluation based on the requirements of the rubric found below.